Monday, October 14, 2013

Food and Fiber Pavillion at Texas State Fair 2013

I visited the Food and Fiber Pavillion every day that I went to the fair.  It is a great building for free food samples and entertainment.  I enjoyed the harvesting exhibit, where you sit in a tractor and watch a video of a real harvest.  It is like being there.

I also enjoyed seeing the live bees and listening to the beekeeper.  Some of the yummy food samples that I tried included flavored honey from North Dallas Honey (Nature Nate's), various hot sauces with and without chips, nuts, two different brands of pickles,  two different brands of toffee, and of course, the free ice cream.  No matter what time I went, there was always a long line for ice cream.  There was also a Texas soap maker giving away free samples of soap.

Sign for free ice cream line

I saw the unclaimed property table, and the booth for the various hiking trails and state parks.  I didn't go in the general store this year.  There were a lot of free posters available.

There were various dancers and singing groups performing on the days that I visited the Food and Fiber Pavillion.  


Cowtown Opry
Dancers preparing to perform with honey exhibit showing to the left of the stage


I enjoyed the dancers, and I also enjoyed seeing the hats of the other audience members. Great hats, ladies, and great dancing!



A side view of the dancers and their sound man

Some other performers rehearsing



 Cute little girl singing Home on the Range


Same cute little girl dancing while the others are singing

I wanted to see the drug sniffing beagles, but there were signs stating that it was cancelled, due to the government shutdown.

One of the signs about the beagles


Seeing Elsie the cow and Beau the calf was nice, too.  Usually, the area around Elsie is so crowded that you can barely get past there or see her.  When my camera's flash startled Elsie, the man looking after her gave me a big frown.  I didn't mean for the flash to go off, and I disabled it after that.  I felt badly about scaring Elsie the cow. Borden was giving away plastic cups and pencils, but I didn't get one this year.


Beau the calf
Elsie and friend

These guys wearing chilis on their heads teased me after they caught me taking their pictures.  Then, they tried to sell me and other bystanders the chili hats.


Chili heads
Live Bees and Honey Exhibit

Free soda samples from Dublin bottling




#statefairoftexas, #texas state fair, #texasstatefair, #TXstatefair, #BigTex





No comments:

Post a Comment